PARENTS’ ASSOCIATION MEETING RECAP 9/27/17
Simply Gourmet (new School lunch program provider)
The Rep. from Simply Gourmet was on-site and walked parents through their program, and sampled foods from the menu. Parents were able to provide feedback of their experiences thus far with the school lunch program, and were able to provide thoughts on how it could be improved.
Lia Abrams (Co-Chair Of PA) shared the PA Mission and provided ways for parents to get involved with the Parents Association (Volunteer your Time, Talent and Treasure)
- Time: Chaperoning events, Take on class parent role, Assisting with Fundraisers, Coach a team
- Talent: Share your talent via:
- Offering experience packages for auction at the Spring Soiree (ie: Cake baking classes, Culinary classes)
- Web development to assist with changes to school website
- Event planning-Assist with Spring Soiree planning
- Treasure: Offering your home as venue for class potlucks or for experience packages to auction off at Spring Soiree (Provide a traditional English tea/and Champagne brunch at your home), Financial assistance: Attending Soiree, Supporting various fundraisers, Give during the Annual Giving campaign
Bonnie Murray (Co-Chair Of PA) shared current committed events/fundraisers:
- Box Tops and Amazon Smile are ongoing year-long fundraisers
- Parents can easily donate back to Hudson School via clipping their Box Tops and putting them in the Box Tops collection Box in the school lobby. First wave due 10/1
- By simply shopping via the https://smile.amazon.com/ link and selecting The Hudson School as your school of choice to give back to, Hudson school earns .05% back on purchases placed with the site. Parents do not have to set up a separate account either. It’s an easy way to give back to the school.
- See Box Tops flier attached in email with all participating products.
- Chipotle (Hoboken, Washington Street) 12/13 4-8 pm-Fliers will be sent to parents promoting the program. 50% of the proceeds earned during the event timeframe will be donated back to The Hudson School. Flier must be presented for Hudson School to get donation, can be presented at time of purchase via
paper format or via smartphone. Parents were encouraged to share flier and invite friends and family to maximize fundraising opportunity.
- 16 Handles (In Hoboken, on 11th street on waterfront): Owner has agreed to partner with us, Date TBD. Fundraiser will be similar to how Chipotle works.
- Hoboken Shelter Drive- Will be yearlong. Parents and Kids can always donate to the shelter. Every Thursday students go to the shelter to drop off sandwiches. They will also bring the supplies collected through. Thanks to all parents and students who have supported this initiative thus far.
Near Term Event Idea: Haunted Hudson, PROPOSED DATE: 10/27/18, 7pm
- There was enthusiasm with Parents and Faculty to do something for Halloween for the entire school community-Parents, Students and Faculty.
- Concept: All in costume (including adults!), Backyard for Hudson School would be decorated for Halloween. Parents can donate decorations for event), We’d need 4 Cars donated to be parked in back of school parking lot. Students “trick out” cars (decorate) for “trick or trunk” activity in the evening–trick or treating at each car. Two grades assigned to each car to decorate for a prize. Parents/Faculty can vote on the most tricked out car.
- Parents can help by donating candy for trick or trunk, providing baked goods and snacks for event, helping to set up and clean up post event.
- PA would provide pizza, bottled water for sale
● Next steps:
- Jahna recommended we speak with Chris Baker who can arrange for student help on decorating the backyard in the afternoon for an event on 10/27, ASAP
- Jahna checking on date to ensure no conflicts at school, ASAP
- PA to create Volunteer Sign-Up sheet if Chris Baker is aligned to event idea., w/o 10/
Middle School Dance: Feb 2018
- It was discussed that middle School should have their own dance.
- Balk mentioned they used to host a student-run dance but in the last few years when asked students on the Student council have not wanted one.
- Parents encouraged us to relook at this as an option and it was discussed that parents should assist in helping to plan/chaperone one for the kids.
- Next step: Balk to have brought up as a topic at Student council meetings to gauge interest and regroup with PA.
- Discussion led by Melissa McCarthy (One of the Spring Soiree Chairs) & Jahna Balk.
- All parents encouraged to attend on May 4th as this is the largest fundraiser of the year benefitting financial aid for students. Venue will be where it was last year at Stevens.
- Goal: Raise $50K
- Melissa encouraged parents to begin thinking about what they can donate– whether it’s their time to help with planning in December, or donating experiences or product for the silent auction.
- Next steps: Planning and recruitment for committees will begin in December 2017.
In conclusion, Volunteer opportunities recapped, reach out to PA@hudsonschool.org if interested:
- Class parent- 1 needed for 12th grade
- Class potluck venue: 1 needed for 12th grade
- Parent and Student help with Haunted on Hudson (signup list forthcoming if concept approved at faculty level)
- Box Tops Coordinator
- Executive Secretary
- Parent Chaperones and Cleanup Setup crew for Middle School dance (if approved for execution by faculty)